September 21, 2010

Video's on Riga's 19th century area and some studentprojects

I found this video very beautiful and telling the qualities I see in this 19th century neighbourhood. I call it in my thesis the 'european city' with some certain features like big blocks with parcels in it. The parcels can be developed independently. In Riga you see they made plots for a certain type of appartmenthousing because they are all limited to the same width and height more or less.







Compared with for instance Brussels you have the same idea, blocks and individual parcels but they are based on the singlefamily house. There you see they sometimes extremely extrude this small plot vertical without combining plots. This can give a very interesting situation of 2 floor houses next to a 12 floor appartmenthouse.



Below some interesting student projects on Riga which I would like to show. They are grafically very smart, something I earlier noticed allready when reading plans, projects and other visual media is that Latvians pay a lot of attention to the grafic design:







Back to website Buro Breidablik

No comments:

Post a Comment